Today we are responding to our community memebr Najj. Najj shared: "My skin goal is anti-aging (preventative), brightening the skin tone, minimizing the pores, controlling the oil, avoiding irritation and removing redness as well as keeping the skin hydrated all day.
My current routine works for me but I would like to incorporate retinol at some point. Also I would like some recommendations for La Mer products substitute since I have heard from a few dermatologists that the ingredients are "not worth it", having fragrance and lacking anti-aging components. My current skin issue is that I experience redness from time to time especially after I use Tripollar Stop X RF treatment (twice a week)." https://whatsinmyjar.com/posts/812/my-skin-type-is-oily-and-sensitive
First we recommend to kick out product with "no-vlaue" (as in "no-skin-benefit") irritants from the routine. More gentle and irritant-free products can help prevent sensitivity and redness.
We also suggest to reduce the number of products in the routine. Less products = less irritation risk!
The products we "kicked out" (8 products in total) from Najj's original routine:
- Lancôme Tonique Confort Re-Hydrating Comforting Toner with Acacia Honey (contains fragrances) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/lancome-tonique-confort-re-hydrating-comforting-toner-with-acacia-honey
- Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF 42 Sunscreen (contains fragrance) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/shiseido-urban-environment-oil-free-uv-protector-spf-42-sunscreen
- Crème de la Mer (contains essential oils and fragrances) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/la-mer-creme-de-la-mer
- La Mer The Eye Concentrate (also essential oils and fragrance) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/la-mer-the-eye-concentrate
- NuFACE Silk Creme Activator (contains daisy, ginger and clover extracts) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/nuface-firming-and-brightening-silk-creme
- Lancôme Advanced Génifique Anti-Aging Face Serum (contains fragrance) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/lancme-advanced-genifique-anti-aging-face-serum
- TriPollar Stop Preparation Gel (contains fragrances) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/tripollar-stop-preparation-gel
- Erno Laszlo Hydra-Therapy Memory Gel Sleep Mask (contains fragrances and essential oils) https://whatsinmyjar.com/product/erno-laszlo-hydra-therapy-memory-gel-sleep-mask.
Instead, for the AM, we added a gentle azelaic acid serum to help control oiliness. For the PM, we added a gentle cleanser, a bakuchiol serum and a moisturizer with 2% niacinamide. Both the serum and moisturizer can be used all over the face, including the eye area. Also, Najj can use the moisturizer in the AM as well to add an extra hydration help (all over the face or in the eye area only).
All the actives in the new routine target a few Najj's skin concerns at once: azelaic acid and niacinamide both help to reduce oliness, even out the skin tone and neutralize free radicals (anti-aging). Both these ingredients also help the skin barrier and this improves hydration. Bakuchiol in the PM serum helps fight photodamage and can also prevent blemishes and clogged pores. It also contains another anti-aging active, adenosine (it was in the Lancôme Advanced Génifique Anti-Aging Face Serum that we kicked out because of the fragrance). Peptides in the moisturizer help improve skin hydration and they can also have an anti-aging benefit. And of course, the main photodamage-prevention benefit in the routine comes from the sunscreen - we kept the Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Mild Milk For Sensitive Skin from Najj's original routine.
We would not recommend adding a retinol to Najj's routine straight away. Instead, we suggest using this new routine for 2 months to help the skin barrier restore. After that, Najj could use a retinol serum a few times per week at night instead of the Bakuchiol product.