Ultra Violette Lean Screen Mineral Mattifying Fragrance Free Zinc Skinscreen SPF50
Based on the ingredient list, we assess that "Ultra Violette - Lean Screen Mineral Mattifying Fragrance Free Zinc Skinscreen SPF50" can provide reliable sun protection. It can protect from both UVA and UVB rays. This is great news because not all sunscreens with SPF ratings give UVA protection. (UVA rays do not cause sunburn, but still damage our skin and lead to early aging).
Its formula is also hydrating, so you might not need an additional moistruizer during the day. This product prevents early signs of aging by protecting against sun damage (all broad spectrum sunscreens do that).
This sunscreen is a mineral sunscreen. It uses zinc oxide for sun protection. Zinc oxide almost never irritates the skin or stings eyes, but it can leave a white cast.
This formulation includes some common irritants, including ingredients that do not provide a benefit for the skin. We assess the overall irritancy of this sunscreen to be medium. For a detailed overview of all potential irritants: click here
You can see the detailed formula review with the breakdown of all actives in the product and the full ingredient list with estimated concentrations in the tables below.
What our users sayBased on 2 reviews 100% recommend this product
- When it comes to comedogenicity, the reviewer found that it does not clog pores.
- As for the white cast, two out of two reviewers say that the product does not leave a white cast.
- When it comes to using this sunscreen under makeup, two out of two reviewers report that the product does not pill under makeup.
- As for using this sunscreen in the eye area, two out of two reviewers say that it doesn't sting eyes.
The product retails for 46.92$ in the United States, for 34.00£ in the United Kingdom, for 49.00A$ in Australia and for 56.00NZ$ in New Zealand.
For a detailed price comparison: click here.
Promise: Sun protection
This product offers a good level of protection against both UVB and UVA rays.
It is a mineral sunscreen. In other words, it contains non-organic UV filters. It will probably not sting your eyes but might leave a white cast.
This product can be considered "reef safe" because it does not contain the UV filters (oxybenzone and octinoxate) that can be harmful to coral reefs when present in the water in high concentrations.
Other benefit: Anti-aging
This product can help reduce and prevent fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin elasticity and firmness because it contains gluconolactone.
Keep in mind that it typically takes at least 6 weeks to notice any results because the changes that are needed to improve fine lines and elasticity happen in the deeper layers of the skin. No topical anti-aging product can “erase” wrinkles or fully reverse signs of aging.
This product can also help prevent early signs of skin aging because it offers a good level of broad spectrum sun protection. Sun damage is the main cause of premature skin aging, and protecting your skin from the sun is the best anti-aging strategy.
Other benefit: Evens skin tone
This product offers broad spectrum sun protection. It means that it can prevent hyperpigmentation and help keep the skin tone even (sun damage is the main factor causing age spots, darkening of post-acne marks and other discolorations).
Other benefit: Exfoliation
This product can help exfoliate the skin. In other words, it helps break down the bonds between dead cells on the surface of the skin and speed up the skin turnover. Skin often appears softer and brighter after exfoliation, but overdoing it can result in disrupted skin barrier. The following ingredient is doing the exfoliating job in this product: gluconolactone.
Other benefit: Moisturizing
What does the product description say?
This product contains good ingredients to attract water to the upper layer of the skin. These ingredients are called "humectants": glycerin.
When humectants are on the surface of the skin, they “pull in” the moisture from the outside environment, or from within deeper layers of the skin. If the air is dry, humectants can speed up the moisture loss from the skin. This is why it is a good idea to use another product on top of this one to help "seal in" the moisture (look for ingredients like dimethicone, squalane, oils and butters).
Other benefit: Anti-oxidation
This product contains antioxidants (gluconolactone) that might be able to help neutralize free radicals in skin to lessen the damage it gets from the UV light (sun). There is not enough evidence to confirm their effectiveness in skin though.
How honest is this product?
|Promise||Can it deliver?|
User reviews (3)
Similar products & dupes
Ultra Violette - Lean Screen Mineral Mattifying Fragrance Free Zinc Skinscreen SPF50
BABOR - Protect RX Mineral SPF30 Sunscreen
Ethical Zinc - SPF50+ Daily Wear Light Sunscreen
Salt & Stone - Salt Stone SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
Dr Dennis Gross - Skincare All Physical Lightweight Wrinkle Defense SPF30
Naked Sundays - SPF50+ COLLAGEN GLOW 100% MINERAL LOTION
Farmacy - GREEN DEFENSE daily mineral sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Decree - Day Shield SPF 30
Replenix - Soothing Mineral Sunscreen Spray SPF30
Live Clean - Sport Mineral Sunscreen Spray SPF 30
NEOSTRATA - Targeted Treatment Sheer Physical Protection SPF50 Cream
|WIMJ similarity score|
Ingredients & concentrations
- caprylic/capric triglyceride
- zinc oxide
|45% - 55%|
|Plain old water|
|A broad spectrum sunblock (protects from both UVA and UVB rays). Is suitable for most sensitive skins. In small concentrations, can be used as a colorant|
|7.1% - 8.6%|
|Helps to soften the upper layer of the skin without creating a greasy texture|
|5% - 6.1%|
|Helps oil and water mix together|
|3.7% - 4.5%|
|Used to create a nice product texture|
|3% - 3.6%|
|A non-drying alcohol. Works as an emollient. Helps water and oil mix together and creates a nice product texture|
|2.5% - 3%|
|Helps water and oil in the product mix well together and improves product texture|
|2.2% - 2.7%|
|Oil of a very fragrant pink rose used as fragrance in cosmetics. Extensive research has shown it has mixed benefits. In the pro column, inhaling this flower’s scent seems to have relaxing properties and the plant’s petals contain skin-soothing and antioxidant compounds that can benefit skin. On the flipside, the numerous chemicals that create this rose’s distinctive fragrance pose a risk of causing skin aggravation.|
|1.8% - 2.2%|
|1.4% - 1.7%|
|Used to create a thicker product consistency|
|1% - 1.2%|
|A polyhydroxy acid (PHA) that helps shed the dead cells from the skin surface revealing smoother skin. Is believed to be genter than AHAs. It helps attract water to the upper layer of the skin and can stimulate production of skin's own hyaluronic acid resulting in improved hydration levels. It has been shown to be helpful against acne and clogged pores if used consistently (e.g over a period of 12 weeks) in high enough concentration. It can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles and improve skin tone with long-term application. Can help neutralize free radicals|
|0.25% - 0.5%|
|0.6% - 0.95%|
|One of the best moisturizing ingredients. Naturally present in skin. It attracts water to the upper layer of the skin working as a humectant|
|0.5% - 0.75%|
|Increases thickness of a product. Texture enhancer for oil-in-water emulsions|
|0.45% - 0.7%|
|An emollient that helps to soften the skin and create a pleasant product texture and stabilize the formulation|
|0.3% - 0.6%|
|A good mix of fatty acids that forms a protective layer on the skin. Improves the shelf life of products. Derived from coconut and glycerin|
|0.25% - 0.4%|
|Used to stabilize mixtures of oil and water, and create thicker, gel-like product textures|
|0.15% - 0.3%|
|Helps oil and water mix together|
|0.05% - 0.1%|
|Stabilizes the product formulation|
|0.1% - 0.25%|
|An umbrella term for the following three colorants: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499. They might be able to offer some protection against visible light, but the degree of the protection is not clear|
- A review of inorganic UV filters zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
- Risk assessment of zinc oxide, a cosmetic ingredient used as a UV filter of sunscreens
- Characterization of the UVA protection provided by avobenzone, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide in broad-spectrum sunscreen products
- Ultraviolet Protection Properties of Commercial Sunscreens and Sunscreens Containing Zno Nanorods
- ZnO nanoparticles and organic chemical UV-filters are equally well tolerated by human immune cells
- Safety Assessment of Alkyl Esters as Used in Cosmetics
- A comparative study of gluconolactone versus benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of acne
- The Polyhydroxy Acid Gluconolactone Protects Against Ultraviolet Radiation in an In Vitro Model of Cutaneous Photoaging
- Applications of hydroxy acids: classification, mechanisms, and photoactivity
- The efficacy of glycolic acid, salicylic acid, gluconolactone, and licochalcone A combined with 0.1% adapalene vs adapalene monotherapy in mild-to-moderate acne vulgaris: a double-blinded within-person comparative study
- A polyhydroxy acid skin care regimen provides antiaging effects comparable to an alpha-hydroxyacid regimen
- The use of polyhydroxy acids (PHAs) in photoaged skin
- Blackwell Publishing, Ltd. Alpha-hydroxyacids and carboxylic acids
- An evaluation of a polyhydroxy acid skin care regimen in combination with azelaic acid 15% gel in rosacea patients
- Aging Skin: Causes, Treatments, and Prevention
- Clinical and cosmeceutical uses of hydroxyacids
- Polyhydroxy Acids (PHAs) Provide Conditioning Effects to Skin Without Increasing Sensitivity to UV Light